AN INTRODUCTION TO FOCUSING AND EMPATHIC LISTENING
This course was developed by Lito Libres
Community Mobile Trauma and Addictions Treatment Team
Department of Health & Social Development
With Lito's permission, any Certified Focusing trainer or any teacher or helping professional could use this PowerPoint outline (in PDF format), which also includes links to numerous YouTube and other videos as demonstrations, to introduce Gendlin's Focusing and Rogers' Empathic Listening to a wide variety of audiences. If further training is needed or desired, of course people can turn to the geographic and online listings of Certified Focusing Trainers at www.focusing.org
Now the work has been done for you. You can just take it out and introduce counselors and therapists and helping professionals of all kinds, volunteers at nonprofits and ministers. community mental health workers for all kinds of populations.
It would be perfect for high school and college classes or after school learning. Please help reach everyone who could benefit from this training. Then they can turn around and introduce these powerful self help skills that everyone should have.
Dr. McGuire recommends teachers use her manuals, Focusing in Community or Focusing en Communidad, to establish Empathy Focusing practice groups, at the end of each Session if it fits in the time, or at the end of the Sessions as the next step: See Manuals
In this case, Lito was teaching the skills to mental health professionals and community members of the Inuit in Northern Canada.
* Note: We have made this Power Point slide presentation into a Google Slides PDF file. As a viewer, especially to use in a classroom setting, you will need to play around with your devices and browsers until you find one that allows you to go to the many YouTube links and then come back to the Slide (or Page) you were on. Of course, you will only be showing a few slides at each session, given the time needed to view a YouTube or do an exercise and then discuss, so in actuality you will not have to go through many slides in any one session. Anyway, it is free, it is a magnificent learning and teaching tool, and we invite you to give it a try! And, if anyone knows how to make the original Power Point slides into a more useable PDF file, please contact Dr. McGuire at email@example.com
Want to learn more about Focused Listening and Intuitive Focusing?
- Subscribe to weekly e-course
- Join e-discussion/practice/support groups
- Purchase Self-Help Package
- Purchase Coaching/Consulting
These materials are offered purely as self-help skills. In providing them, Dr. McGuire is not engaged in rendering psychological, financial, legal, or other professional services. If expert assistance or counseling is needed, the services of a competent professional should be sought.